Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Salutes to my Gurus: David Cohen, Vijya Tendulkar, Rajni Kothari and LC Jain


Today is teacher's day. Here are are four of my foremost gurus and mentors. I have learned so much from them. They nurtured me, mentored and supported. They also helped me to evolve an eclectic and ecumenical world view beyond the conventional confines.
David Cohen( 1936 to 2015) : It was my great fortune to be guided by David Cohen, who was a global guru of advocacy. I met him during my professional formative phase and his influence very much induced me to think at the global level while being active at the grassroots level too. David was the president of Common Cause- the largest public interest group in the US. He founded Advocacy Institute , Washington , where I was a fellow .He took me under his wings the moment he met me in 1993- and taught me so many things. I learned more through watching him. He used to work with so much sense of respect and equality to everyone. I learned the art of dialogue from him. We have together conducted advocacy training in Indonesia and also few other countries. His book on Social Justice Advocacy is well known and he was kind to include my writings on People-centred advocacy- that was my first global recognition. He was a bibliophile and a great human being. My father figure in Washington DC. He represented the best of Jewish heritage. Till he passed away couple of years ago, I only stayed in his home whenever I was in Washington. Their famous book stall Politics and Pros in Washington was my regular place and I got a heavy discount there and so many books in my collections are from there. I still miss him. Because I never did anything without seeking his advice.
Vijay Tendulkar :( 1928 to 2008) Another big influence is Vijya Tendulkar, the famous writer, and founder Vice President of the National Centre for Advocacy Studies and later its President. He knew me as a young boy of hardly 27, when I joined as the founding coordinator of the NCAS- and he was a guiding light. Learned so much and always followed his advice. It is he who told me that I should also get in to international level. He also first identified the creative spark. He told me that I should keep writing and later on get in to serious writing as he told me that once I will be known as a creative writer. I am yet to realize his prediction. When he told me not to do something, I never did. Before he died he told his close friend to tell John that he should not organize any big memorial or award in his name. Because he was sure that I would do so. Following his advice, I did not. But now I plan to do.
Prof. Rajni Kothari :( 1928 to 2015) I grew up reading Prof. Rajni Kothari. He was my intellectual guru during my formative years. Read all his books. His three sons have been my good friends and all of them inherited that scholarly activist streak of their famous father. Smithu departed too early. Ashish Kothari and Miloon Kothari are very dear friends and we also work together on some issues.. It was great when Rajni Kothari decided to spend time in Pune( where Asish is based) at NCAS where I persuaded him to write his autobiography. Discussed so many things with him, from politics to philosophy. He was kind enough to write two excellent review of the Citizens Report on Governance and Development that I used to edit. He was very fond of my partner Bina and our son Vineet. Rajni Kothari too moved on and his influence still stay within me.
LC Jain :( 1925 to 2010) One of the best human beings that I have come across. He was so fond of me . I used to go and seek his advice and his blessings. He always supported. He was an inspiration and someone who supported a new generation- and supported many young people like me- asking me to ensure that I never lose touch with reality on the ground .
In many ways, I have imbibed a part of all these four great human beings. When I looked back they are the ones who influenced me in many ways, though there are others too.

No comments: