Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Joy of Farming

Joy of farming..re-living the nostalgia at Bodhigram farm.
 I remember that we produced all kinds of food that we wanted/consumed. We used to buy only salt and few other items from the nearby grocery shop.
I understood the notion of food sovereignty based on my experience of growing up in family of dignified farmers and in a village of farmers.. We produced almost every thing: coffee, rice, all vegetables, spices, oil, fruits, sugar cane and we had few cows giving plenty of milk and manure. One of my childhood joy was my own little vegetable garden and a little calf that I took care of. Everything was organic and life too was organic. Cycle was a healthy and green mode of transport and cycling around eight km a day provided enough exercise- with least carbon foot print. Cashew trees gave plenty of pocket money for books, magazines and cinema. I learned the first lessons of life and early insights about society, economy and politics as a participant observer of farming practices in a village of Kerala. Bodhigram has now initiated sustainable agricultural practice in the same village and will initiate sustainable agriculture and organic farming practices across different districts of Kerala in the next few years.

No comments: